[teacherartexchange] Altered books

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 23 2009 - 08:43:44 PDT

I have read discussions about altered books as an art form, but have not
done any experimenting with it, or really done anything with the idea up to
now. I am wondering--is this something that could be appropriate for
younger kids? I teach grades K-2--was thinking probably second grade as a
possibility. We have just had a used book sale at our library, where they
clear out older books (charge 25 cents per book). There are alot of books
left, so I was thinking of this. Things I wonder about.....would this make
kids prone to damaging books--would they get the idea that it's always o.k.
to write in books? Also--is this wasteful--in that books could be sent to
schools that have a lack of resources. I know some do get used in this way,
so using them for altered books would cut down on the number
available.......

Mary H. in Minnesota--with eleven more days of school left......