[teacherartexchange] Air dry clay questions

---------

From: Stephanie Ignazio (s.ignazio_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 09 2009 - 06:52:22 PDT

"or use a standard clay (we use cone 04 white) but have the students
coat it with white glue (thinned w/water) when wet; Then add further
strength by painting with acrylic paint."

I was totally intrigued when I read of this technique. Can you explain
it a bit more? (How much glue to water, etc.)I have a TON of regular
clay and no access to a kiln. I just went out and bought a bunch of air
dry but I would love to try out this technique on what I have already.

Also, I have had a lot of trouble with the air dry Crayola white. A
teacher gave me a bunch of it and it took a while to get it to a
claylike consistency.it was very hard and although the pieces were very
hard when dry (a bonus) the work to get it usable was just not worth it
in my opinion).I prefer a regular standard air dry (like the one from
Sheffield).

Thanks,
Stephanie Ignazio
Elementary Art, MA