Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity anyone?

---------

From: Dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 30 2008 - 12:51:27 PDT

Sort of in the same vein,
my husband carries mail in an older neighborhood, and once he saw that a
slate roof was being torn off. He mentioned it to me (he should have known
that was a "mistake"!) and I asked if he would "mind" getting as many of the
slate shingles as he could for me! He ended up getting about a hundred of
them, green, gray, and reddish ones. I used them to do a Paleolithic unit -
the students actually had mineral and charcoal pigments, along with shells
and pieces of shell. They ground the pigment up in the shells, using the
shell pieces for morters. They used water and Elmer's for binder (since the
binders the Paleolithic people actually used didn't sound too sanitary for
school!). They drew on the stone with vine charcoal and painted with sticks
using the paint they made. It was a really neat unit! Here is a link to
the Artsonia page from my old school with images:
http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=41378
-Lydia de Toledo