Re: [teacherartexchange] Class Schedules/Load

---------

From: Juile Jacobusse (jacobusse_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 24 2008 - 12:45:13 PDT

I would talk to your superintendent or teacher union. Not sure if it
would do any good. Seems like they keep piling more things on art
educators. Try and find more ways to make your job better and faster
for yourself to keep your sanity and keep the art experience a great
one for your students. Now that it is the end of the year, evaluate
what is important and cut out the fat. I often do that and realize why
am I spending time on doing this or that. Maybe it does not even need
to be done, maybe students can help with more prepping, cleaning, etc.
Again do what you need to do and what works best for you.

I a had a busy year traveling to another school and they cut art this
year. I was at my home school for 3 days and at another school for 2
days. The other school had 2 other art teachers there each for 1 day.
The other school had art for 4 days. I guess this helps the county save
on hiring art teachers. This year my budget was cut to almost nothing.
I do an art show fund raiser and did not earn as much this year think
due to timing and the economy and gas prices...it hurts because for next
year my program will suffer. I talked to a few of my co-workers and my
principal but none of them seemed to be too concerned about it. It made
me even more upset after I talked to my schools book keeper and they
told me to have another fund raiser if I need more funds. I said I
travel, have no planning time, back to back classes, car duties, do the
yearbook and bulletin boards, load and unload the kiln, prep supplies,
clean my room and do hallway art displays and a art show and feel trying
to fit in another fund raiser will be difficult. I thought not only do
I have to do all this, but I have to earn money for art supplies too.
I should be happy I am doing what I like teaching art, at least they
still have an art program. My school is great, the principal is
supportive and upbeat, but these things make my job harder and at times
this year made me stress out. I had to learn to be happy despite these
things and let it slide off my back.

Not that I am complaining either. Probably the only people that truly
understand what an art educator goes through are all of the other ones.
All of you heroes that keep art going and striving despite all of these
obstacles.

Julie Jacobusse
K-5 Art 12 miles S. of Atlanta in Stockbridge