Re:[teacherartexchange] foil sculpture

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 08:24:47 PDT

I have done many variations on foil sculpture over the
years, mostly with fourth and fifth graders. Here is
what I learned:
1. Foil is too thin to be very stable on its own, so
it works best with a wire armature. This could be
aluminum wire or pipe cleaners.

2. Use the foil to give weight or thickness to the
wire armature. Foil needs to be wrapped or crimped
(crushed) along the length of wire. I found that the
foil sheets used in restaurants to wrap baked potatoes
works well and reduces waste.

3. Foil almost always gives technical problems
because of its inherent fragility. I found the most
success with covering the sculpture with either paper
mache or plaster gauze.

4. Wire armatures can be made quite simply, because
the foil fills in where you need bulk and thickness on
the figure. Figures may still be posed after foil is
applied because the armature remains flexible.

5. Foil sculptures make great human action figures or
animals in motion because you can pose the figures any
way you want. I have made a pretty cool egyptian
mummy project out of wire, foil and plaster gauze. We
stained the gauze sculptures with coffee to make it
appear old.

Hope this helps,

Jerry