Re:[teacherartexchange] table covering for claywork

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 17 2008 - 06:59:48 PDT

Years ago, I purchased a bunch of 6x6 plywood squares
for a mosaic project. I purchased them from a
discount art and craft supply catalog, possibly S&S.
These not only provided a stable base for mosaics,
they also provided an ideal surface for small clay
projects. The beauty of the plywood is that it is
porous enough to release the clay while you work on
it, and at the same time gives the student a portable
platform to move the work from the art table once
finished. If students were making, say, a coil pot
with a lid, the lids could be produced on an
additional board. Once finished, the student places
the work on a shelf to dry, board and all. When the
clay is dry it simply releases from the wood without
sticking.

I have used these boards for over 25 years with great
success. These boards are easy to store and can be
washed off many times.

Jerry
www.artguyvilenski.com