RE: [teacherartexchange] Making Art Together

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 12:59:20 PDT

One of my group projects that I did that I haven't recycled in many years, and may do again is the "machine". I have everyone make three 'gears' using matt board scraps (like a cookie, two identical gears with a "spacer" that is as wide as the matt board is thick). Essentially each of the gears fit (slide into the space between the edges of the cookie) together to form a machine. Their gears had to have quotes or 'sayings' on them that pertained to learning, positive philosophy, art, etc They had to look like gears with the teeth, etc. They then "sent" each of their three gears to three "someones" who made a difference in their lives, with an invitation to come to the art room at a certain time and to bring their gear with them. Prior to the invitees coming, we, as a class built the base, of 1/2 gears protruding up in random places. When the invitees showed up, we had a reception, and invited them to hook their gears together to form a positive thinking "machine". The result was wonderful, and could be redon
e, over and over again, as the gears were not permanently afixed but did slot one into the other. This was done years ago, so I don't have a picture to show you, but it did make the double page spread of our yearbook at the time.

San D