Re: [teacherartexchange] New Teacher Issues

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 05:46:05 PDT

With fee money, my school will treat lack of payment like any other
debt owed to the school. Report cards are held, as well as diplomas
or any transcripts, etc. You can't even buy a prom ticket if you owe
the school money, although by that point, it's kind of too late. Of
course, mine is a private school -- don't know if you can even do that
in public school.

Are you allowed to give points for turning in the fees? My high
school art teacher considered it a graded assignment, and that helped
to a point.

Another thing I do that seems to help is that I have students provide
their own consumable products -- things I have to buy often that are
used up (and often misused) by students. At the beginning of each
term, my middle school students are to bring a set of markers, colored
pencils, crayons, glue sticks, and #2 pencils in a gallon sized
ziplock bag. I have some "crap" supplies that are left over at the
end of the term for students who fail to bring their supplies, and
those usually get used up within the first week or so. After that,
students who have not brought their supplies are requried to do
alternative assignments (usually research papers) until they bring
supplies. I know I would totally not get by with this in public
school, but maybe there's a way to do something similar. High
Schoolers also have to purchase their own paintbrushes, which means
that now they take care of them or they won't have them to use. :)

-b-

--
Carpe You Some Diem!
Website: http://www.rebeccaburch.com