[teacherartexchange] New Teacher Issues

---------

From: Lauren (lvartteacher_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 21:32:37 PDT

Myself and a fellow art teacher are working with new teachers from our
district this year. During our last inservice we asked them the
positives about their year, and what they thought they needed to work
on. After nearly completing their year, they found some unresolved
challenges. I was hoping you (experienced visual art teachers) could
look through t his list and give any advice. I will put the list
together and post it here, and the information will be used to help
new art teachers in Las Vegas. Thank you for you time.

Unresolved Challenges

1. The student that doesn't like the project or your class and wants
to play around or sit there stubbornly instead
2. Students that finish early and have no desire to make their project better
3. How to move a problem student around without disturbing the other
nice groups of students that are working hard. If all your seats are
filled up and you need to move a student that means you have to switch
them with another student but I don't want to punish that other person
4. Maintaining control of larger classes
5. Trying to get students to get along with others
6. Get students to do/turn in assignments (some students, not all)
7. Need quickie responses with assessment of work
8. Better prepared for art show
9. Collect fee money
10. Disrespectful students
11. Overcrowded classrooms
12. Pacing of lessons/time frames
13. Sleeping students
14. Apathetic students
15. Teaching classes that I have no experience with
16. Completing student work
17. Peer teacher negativity

--
Lauren in Vegas