Re:[teacherartexchange] Making Art Together

---------

From: Joanna W. (joannagw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 07:32:18 PDT

Barbara:

Please tell me a little of your experience using this book - the
projects and their process if you don't mind

  - I am currently teaching 3 autistic kids voluntarily and I am
about to start teaching in some assisted living communities for the
elderly. I think Mark is onto something vital and I want to follow
his lead with these 2 diverse groups somehow. I am not sure if I will
try and get the 2 groups to collab or whether I will just try to get
the elderly folks to work together on one project first -

I may have gotten a printer interested in donating printing and maybe
the final will end up on a bus bench or billboard. I have not even
started working with the elderly yet, but I am thinking this might be
a unifying project for them. In one Assisted Living Community these
people are totally isolated from one another by television. A project
like this might bring them together. My problem is that I am an
artist learning how to be a teacher - not the other way around. But I
am thinking that it can be done - I am just curious to hear your
experience with the project...and anyone else who may have used this
book.

Thanks,

Joanna
Englewood, CO