Re: [teacherartexchange] Critique ?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 10 2008 - 13:35:20 PDT

I often ask my students to have a "non-artist" critique their work.
What questions does the viewer have and how would you formulate
questions to get the best responses?
Most often the non-art people want to know "what's it about?"
How do you get people to go beyond I like it or I don't like it? Can
you find value in the "don't likes."
How can you, as an artist, help the understanding-- if your intention
is not perceived -- why?

I always ask first "what choices did you make to solve the problem
posed?"
What research did you do -- how much was based on guts/emotions?
how does that weigh with the success/weakness of the compositional
elements needed to convey intention?

"What do you see?"
My best painting teacher in college spent an enormous time on "what
do you see?" He would just flip slides of works and say what do
you see -- not what you think you see but what do you see? When I
finally learned to see -- then I could learn to ask the questions.
What is there, and what is interpreted to be there causes the
questions-- and that leads to how we better make the intentions.

I almost always see more connections in my students work than they
see. When I make those connections I hope I am only helping them to
make the bridges -- and then it often turns into an interesting game
play. I use language and literature a lot. I'm a visual person ,
but when I view works I find that my interpretations translate to
words. The more I can make the equivalency of the words to images the
better I can make them be visual communicators.

What are the symbols and metaphors? how are you making visual language?
>> Sometimes I have found that as a teacher I was misconstruing the
>> student's intentions. Had I started with a suggestion instead of a
>> question, I would have been totally off base.

This is so where the questions become critical. Why did you make
the choice and how can you justify it? when I ask enough questions I
can be convinced. And when intention/ideas becomes the main focus
I can teach.

Patty