[teacherartexchange] Anselm Kiefer Exhibit - wow! (NY Times)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 31 2007 - 04:31:29 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

If you have been putting off signing up for New York times online....
now is the time to join.
This exhibit of work by Anselm Kiefer is amazing!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/31/arts/design/31kief.html?th&emc=th
An Artist Sets Up House(s) at the Grand Palais
By ALAN RIDING
Published: May 31, 2007

"Since moving to France in 1993, this German-born artist has turned
his 50-acre property in Provence into a sprawling installation, with a
former silk factory serving as his studio, and warehouses,
greenhouses, towers and tunnels displaying his huge paintings and
sculpturing the landscape."

Anselm Kiefer's "Falling Stars," the first exhibition in the Monumenta
series, runs through July 8 at the Grand Palais, 3 Avenue du Général
Eisenhower, Paris
See
http://www.monumenta.com/2007/index.php?lang=en

More on Anselm Kiefer:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/kiefer_anselm.html

More from New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html
Where has Judy D been?

I have been in a "time machine" - I've gone back to the 1800's (and
even further back) to learn about my ancestors. I have had great fun
entering different key words on line to try to find bits and pieces of
information. Then a commercial was on TV for Ancestry.com. Mark asked
me if I was using that site.... I was not..... Well, I logged on for
my three day free trial and now I am hooked! I subscribed for one
month so in just a short time, I need to get all of my family history
entered into our Family Tree. I have already met some distant
"cousins" through the site. They are interested in seeing what I have
on my great-great grandfather's family. I am contemplating buying the
Family Tree software so I can work on it right from my machine and
make copies of the Family Tree for my family.

I did find that I have connections to the Mayflower. John Winslow (who
came over on the Fortune) married Marry Chilton. My mom's grandfather
was a direct descendant from John Winslow.

I first got interested in my ancestors from a homework assignment in
the third grade.... now -a-days they don't have assignments like that
for the kiddies. Although, I did get recharged in doing research after
my brother emailed me last week asking for information just on our
parents and grandparents (birth dates, marriage dates etc). Of course,
I couldn't stop with just providing our parents and grandparents.... I
had a lot of the research done already from research I did in summer
2000. Fortunately, I saved the info found to my hard drive as a lot of
the information I gathered is no longer on line.

I have so many questions now for my parents.... and my mother in
law... Wish they were here. I would come across something and think to
myself, "Mom would know that" or " Dad would know that"....and I know
so little about my husband's family and he doesn't remember much.
Please folks, take my advice..... if your parents and grandparents are
still living. Take the time to hear the stories. I only remember bits
and pieces of the family stories my Mom and Dad and Grandparents would
tell.... I wish so much I had written them down or recorded them.

Get your students interested in stories.... I often had homework
assignments that required the kiddies to talk to their parents and/or
grandparents - or some other "elder".

I have had a hard time getting my brothers interested in the family
history... Well, one of them emailed me asking to see the Family Tree
on Ancestor.com. The site is a great way to connect families - share
stories, photos and more.

Just through I'd update you on "What's up with Judy?".......

Regards,

Judy Decker