Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching Bgn, Interm and Adv Art at once

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 11:49:29 PDT

Hi Gabrielle, I have combined classes and for anything but beginning where we do the basics of design and construction, the students are Independant Studio students--they are responsible for planning their work and organizing their materials and producing at least 5 projects per quarter. I have a contract that they sign. I also tell them(in case they aren't really the most creative people--just attached to me and art) that they can choose to do the assignments that the beginners are doing but that I expect more from them. They all think they want to choose their own assignments, but most don't really have the experience to do so. I make a list of possible assignments that they can do and I also have them look at American Crafts mag or the internet or various books to give them ideas. I tell them up front that I will mostly be busy with beginners--we will have critique sessions when they're finished or when they're frustrated. I try to have them in groups so that they can encourage each other and give s
uggestions to each other.

>>> Gabrielle Bliss <Gabrielle.Bliss@mpls.k12.mn.us> 5/25/2007 4:24:56 pm >>>

Hi, I need some tips on teaching beginning, intermediate and advanced Ceramics, jewelry and drawing and
painting all at once. This is the first year that I have taught High School that way and my intermediate and
advanced students feel like the class is not worthwhile. I do end up spending most of my energy on tthe
beginning studnets- they need so much help! How do others successfully do this>
Thanks, Gabrielle In Minnesota