[teacherartexchange] ceramic ideas

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 04:02:27 PDT

Thrown double walled pots with a theme on the inner and outer walls (outer
walls cut with exacto knives to expose inner walls). (For example circus,
inner wall glazed like tent, outer cut outs are the circus wagons with
animals, wheels can be applied on top for a third layer)

Handbuilt famous buildings (i.e. St. Patrick's cathedral with rose windows)

Combination of handbuilding and wheel thrown (or just sometimes only
handbuilt) pots with clay plants (I used a plant book for authenticity, and
we made copper stripped "cookie cutter type things" for leaves based on the
book, to cut out leaves from the slabs, and coils for the stems...these are
always great at any ceramics level).

Clay apartments (each kid gets a certain size, like a shoebox, and exposes
the front and 'ceiling') and handbuilds the insides of the apartment, then
you hot glue them stacked one atop the other for the apartment.

Thrown goblets with handbuilding that is illuminated letter inspired with
zoomorphic designs wraping around and up to the 'cup'.

Thrown t-pot sets, which include thrown lid, pulled handle, and then 5-7
cups, all one theme.(I do organic themes)

Troemp l-oile (sp??) "Leather" handbags that sit open, or jackets that hang
on walls, with zippers etc.

Combination of coil pots and coiled baskets. You make the coil pots, then
leave clay loops at the top, and then coil onto the loops(after the partial
finished work is fired of course) the basket material and continue the pot
shapes.

Clay pop up books, which essentially means a clay book, that is "opened"
onto a specific page, with the images that are 3-D popped up like a real pop
up book.

San D

If you have creative ideas that have worked
well with your students, would you email me? So far I am thinking
about graffiti/diversity inspired slab houses (inspired by Reinaldo
Sanguino), large flat coil vessels, and a sculpture inspired by a
ceramic artist. They will have 6 weeks on the wheel as well and I have
some ideas for the wheel, but again would appreciate any creative
ideas anyone has. Thanks!

Kelda Van Patten
Hillsboro High School
Hillsboro, Oregon