[teacherartexchange] dwindling middle school art students

---------

From: Judi Morgan (judi.morgan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 18 2007 - 14:11:27 PDT

I am in a small private, college-prep school (K-12). Over the last two
years the numbers in my 7th and 8th grade classes have been declining.
Part of the problem (I think) is that between the electives
(Drama/Choir) I am the only one who gives homework (one sketchbook
project per week). It has been exaggerated through the older kids how
much homework there is in art. The other is that the current 8th
graders just really don't have any dedication to anything at all except
socializing. I have to do something to turn this around as it will
begin affecting my upper school classes starting next year. It is
amazing because my current 9th grade students are the most energetic,
excited art students I've had...but starting next year what will be
coming to upper school is vastly different.

I'm sure some of you out there have experienced this ebb and flow....so
help! What would you recommend for revitalizing the middle school?

Judi Morgan
Saint George's School
2929 W. Waikiki Road
Spokane, WA 99208
509.466.1636
judi.morgan@sgs.org

'Science and technology do not tell us what it means to be human. The
arts do.'