[teacherartexchange] damaged student art

---------

From: christy hedman (christyhedman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 07:12:42 PDT

Do any districts have policies for damaged student
art? I had 3 pieces of art work when 2 girls fought in
a hallway causing a display case door to fall onto the
art. It could have been much much worse than it was.
All the damaged pieces were easily repaired. When I
spoke to administration I was told that it was
considered "school property" and we could only charge
the girls the cost of repairing the art. It took a
glue stick and a tiny bit of acrylic paint to fix
(less than a $1). He suggested I put a value on the
work and the girls could pay that. I guess we've
always had the discussion of how to value art work,
but I'm stuck here. I was so angry that there would be
no reprocussion for these girls' thoughtless
actions. I walked away saying " I guess they just
became million dollar art works. I'll be back to
discuss this with you later!" It's so disheartening
what it says about the administration...
any suggestions?? THoughts? Policies?

Christy Hedman

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7