[teacherartexchange] Art Magazines

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 09:32:56 PDT

School Art, published by Davis, is a good one. You'll see some of the
people in this magazine at your state art conventions. You'll never run out
of art projects if you read School Art. I guess they have all been tested
and are safe to teach to the kids, and grade level appropriate.

Art Education, the journal of the National Art Education Association, which
you get when you join the NEA.

Phi Delta Kappa publications for classroom management and professional
development. I guess most of the stuff in the PDK journal is mostly of
interest to principals and researchers, but they told me to join PDK when I
got my teaching credential, so I did. I'm not an administrator but it's
interesting to get a view of the important issues in education. I drool
over the professional development videos in their bookstore, but they cost
way too much for my individual pocketbook, so I am always hinting around
about writing a grant to buy that stuff for someone I work for, so I can
view it myself. However, no one ever asks me to do that. Around here they
believe in hands-on professional development. Just kiddding. I know I am
not supposed to touch the students. Actually, it's a lot better than it
used to be. In my early field experience, I was treated to the view of a
teacher--or someone--physically restraining a student from behind, while the
student struggled to get away. I was horrified. They closed that school and
built a new one there. Now they just hit us with drugs. In the air. Any
way they can do it. I think they make money testing new war drugs on us.
I'm lucky I can still read anything.

I go to the book store and read all the art magazines in the bookstore. I
buy books there too, so they don't ever complain about me reading the
magazines for free.

Jean Womack
Richmond, California