Re:[teacherartexchange] Duties and Art Education magazines.

---------

From: Donna Pumphrey (dpumphrey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 08:15:57 PDT

At my school each teacher including art, music, computer, media, and
P.E. are assigned a morning or afternoon duty to escort children in and
out of the building.

In addition the "enhancement teachers" ie. art, music, etc. do clubs. We
all sponsor student council. I do art club and work with the AIG kids.
The music teacher does chorus. All of we enhancement people also do
grade level PTO presentations with Music, Art, and multi-media every two
months.

One other teacher helps with AIG.

Everyone in the school is expected to tutor some. Isn't everyone in this
post No Child Left Behind world?

Everyone is also assigned what we call a "Goal Team". Writing, math,
etc. We get together, about twice a month, to work on school plans in
these areas, aggregate data, and output reports.

We also have PLC's, professional learning communites, to discuss best
practices and learn new things. Also our system is big into Baldridge
and Systems Check III so we discuss this sometimes at PLC's as well. All
teachers are involved in this.

We all seem to do a bunch, but it has always been that way as long as I
have been in teaching, 11 years now. I believe it just goes with the
territory.

As for Art Education Magazines I like both "Arts and Activities" and
"School Arts". I like the way that Arts and Activities has the learning
objectives to each lesson with each article. The downside is it is hard
to read what level they are for, that is in small print. I like School
Arts because that information is found at the top of the page. They have
the national Standard at the bottom of the page and a weblink which is
nice as well. I also like the Clip Cards in the middle of the School
Arts as well. My only regret is I seldom have time to read them through
cover to cover. I have several years back issues now, and am considering
not renewing this year just to catch up. Then again, there's always
something cool and new, so I don't know yet.

Hope this helps.