RE: [teacherartexchange] Duties

---------

From: JAMES PETERS (JPETERS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 06:23:06 PDT

In our district that seems to be a Building level/Administrator issue.
The biggest abusers of the Quote "elective" teachers seem to be the
Elementary schools though even there some buildings everyone shares the
duties equally others you are correct put all of the extra duties on the
elective teachers. Most of what I found is how the Building
Administrators perceive our importance in education.

I teach in the Middle School in our School District and the situation
was very similar to what you have when I started but it has slowly
turned around. It took all of the elective teachers banding together and
constantly arguing for our importance in the overall students learning
experience. It has been a slow process and still not completely
equitable --mostly due to class scheduling-- but the core teachers do
now share all of the extra duties. The only way to break the cycle is by
constantly tooting our own horns and promoting our own programs as well
as our importance to the overall students learning experience.

If you do decide to change schools you may want to ask during your
interviews how the extra duties are distributed.

James D. Peters
Yeokum Middle School
Belton School District #124