Re: [teacherartexchange] collograph question

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 06:49:18 PDT

I have been doing collographs for many years in high
school. We make templates from chipboard with sand
paper, doilies, tin foil, string, gesso , thin cards,
sand, and such. Since collographs are an intaglio
print, you must seal the relief of the textures but
not take away the subtleties.

I first coat them with a thin coat of gesso to seal it
off from all absorbing qualities. Then a coat of
white glue and water to from a shell. Lastly I spray
with crystal clear to make a glossy surface that I can
easily rub the ink off.

Print like an etching with a press and etching ink.
Printing is another whole story. I am hopefully going
to present a workshop in Hawaii this summer or next.
We have friends there and a place called the Donkey
Mill is an art workshop that has international artists
give 3 day workshops.

Collographs are fun and if prepared correctly will ink
up and print nicely.

Ken Schwab

http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog/May07.html#NewestEntry