Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] collograph question

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 18:07:11 PDT

My Middle School students built plates of cardboard scraps glued to
matt board. We sealed the surface with cheap acrylic house paint.
They made from 3 or 4 to as many as 12 to 15 prints from those plates.
We used water based block printing inks. I never had them wipe the
as you would with oil based inks. I have done the process by wiping the
plates with older students. Intaglio Printmaking processes are a bit
messy for even eight grade.

On May 6, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Dulcius wrote:

> When I have my students make collagraphs, I do have them coat the
> plate with acrylic gloss medium. However, when I took a
> printmaking class at the museum a couple of years ago, we printed
> from collagraph plates that weren't covered with anything, and we
> made more than one print (the stuff does have to be glued down
> extra well, and printed in more of a relief than an intaglio way).
> By the way, I have posted some of my students' animal collagraphs
> (from tagboard collage plates) and abstract collagraphs (from
> "texture stuff", printed on black paper) on my artsonia site http://
> -Lydia in Toledo

Woody Duncan

Read my Blog at