Re:[teacherartexchange] decisions - art on a cart

---------

From: makul9 (makul9_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 18:15:32 PDT

Stacy,
I have been teaching elementary k-6 from a cart 4 days per week along with 1
day per week in my own art room for 14 years. I can honestly say that I
appreciate certain qualities inherent in each setting - I think we all know
the positive points of teaching in your own art room - but the art on a
cart model has some positive things too:
 - the desks are sized for each student individually.
- classroom teachers often have the kids seated in arrangements that fit
their learning/behavior...(which allows us to dig in to more advanced
content right away)
- I find that the kids are usually ready to listen and get to work more
quickly in their classrooms (- in my art room their is a lot of visual
stimuli- not a bad thing but....)
- You don't have to spend as much energy on classroom housekeeping tasks or
bulletin boards so you can concentrate on your classroom activities...(lack
of bulletin boards is a loss for reinforcing concepts and for displaying art
visuals though! - Ask for space in the hallway...)
- I have no hesitation painting in any classroom, kindergarten and up
(always carpeted rooms too). I use cheap paper plate palettes that go in the
garbage at the end of the hour or the little Solo cups (2oz from food
service companies) which I save from room to room (even day to day). The
kids learn and use our painting rules....
- The cart model works much better when your classroom teachers are
cooperative but you can coax them along to enjoy the art time too. As has
already been mentioned on the list, it is much easier to integrate subject
matter in this setting.
Good Luck and I am sure you would be an asset in middle school too.
Mary