Re: [teacherartexchange] decisions - art on a cart

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 17:31:01 PDT

I have my cart on my webpage - how I had it set up, my centers, etc. Every
student had a portfolio, which was stored in the classroom. The classroom
teacher would pass them out prior to my arrival. For painting I had plastic
cups with lids, stored in a larger plastic tub (in case of spills). If
student desks were in groups I just passed out water cups to each group. If
the desks were in rows I had rows scoot together and share a water cup. I
used tempera cakes a lot, as well as watercolors, due to ease of cleanup.
When I did use (and still do) liquid tempera, I use old printer paper as
palettes (you remember the kind that had punched edges and holes on the
sides? I have boxes of it!). These are thrown away at the end of class. I
would lead classroom discussion while I passed out supplies. I rarely let
students out of their seats to control the chaos - instead I would assign
one or two students to gather up supplies for me. AND, my favorite trick of
all, I would reward two particularly creative students that day to push my
cart to the next class! They were always SO excited! I kept track on index
cards, so they could all be "rewarded"! *L*
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids