Re: [teacherartexchange] Secondary Level Poster Lesson

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 14:26:05 PDT

On May 30, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Marvin Bartel wrote:

> Kevan,
> Thanks for sharing an excellent poster assignment. Good content
> for students to think about. I found that when I asked students to
> pick content that they believed in and that they felt would make
> the world a better place, it resulted in more wholesome content
> that was great to display.
> Marvin

I too would also like to thank Kevan for the comprehensive suggestions.

More and more I get asked by members of the community to have
students design posters, brochure covers, t-shirt designs, etc. I
always say yes to these requests to keep "art in the spotlight"
within the community. Often the subject is specified and it's
always the same kind of thing. My kids rack their brains trying to
come up with new ideas. Although I agree with Marvin that personal
choice in content works best, there is something to be said for
"real world" assignments where the content/theme is chosen by the
client and the artist has to produce to that theme. I try to give
the lesson that most artists, when starting out, have to a lot of
stuff that pleases the client more than it pleases the artist, but
you can design something and keep your own integrity even if you
have to meet the limited knowledge of those making the choices.

All of us artists, no matter what field we chose, need to teach what
is good design and effective communication no matter how
unsophisticated the client's taste is.

I would add another step to Kevan's list.

... an evaluation and justification of the composition
tell the client why the artist choice is better than the popular choice

I say this because my kids have found, that no matter how different
they try to get with designs, the community requesters most often
choose the "cutsie." They get very frustrated.

I am SOOOOO ready for this year to be over. It's been the most
challenging so far. I still have until June 16 then back again Aug
22 and a summer filled with grad classes and curriculum writing.
Whatever happened to summers off?

Patty