RE: [teacherartexchange] What is the BEST Art History text? (for High school)

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 15:27:27 PDT

"Post to the list in case someone else out there is looking. I searched
the archives and couldn't get previous thread to come up.

Is there a Gardner for high school?

What titles/authors do you prefer? Michael needs a text that students
could use for independent work (without his aid)."

This conversation comes up quite frequently on the listserve for AP Art
History teachers. Here is our list

Marilyn Stokstad's "Art Through The Ages"
Gardner's Concise (Art History) (smaller version of Gardner's Art Through
The Ages, which needs a wheelbarrow to transport)
Laurie Schneider Adams "Art Across Time"

I use Art History for Young People by Janson, but will readily admit that it
is NOT high school or college level (it is 9th grade reading level, but I
need to start my students at a base). I supplement my students reading with
additional handouts and powerpoints.

San D Hasselman