Re: [teacherartexchange] nudity in art

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 12:02:18 PDT

First and foremost, you have to know your community and what they will
accept. Yes, you can try educating the public, but I have a hard enough time
getting my parents to come to conferences. And just how young do you start?
I don't even teach "artists" to my primary, because they just weren't
getting it. Instead, I introduce them to great children's illustrators. I
also do not take my elementary students to museums, mainly because the
museums are all quite a distance away, and the trips would all have to come
out of my budget. However, I do take my high school students, and I do show
nudes with them. There are so many thousands of great artworks to share that
not showing nudes at the elementary has never been an issue. I have a hard
enough time narrowing down what I do want to teach in that one hour a week
not to worry about the nudity issue.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids