Re: [teacherartexchange] nudity in art

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 11:29:37 PDT

When we (docents) were studying the art of Spain for our recent
Spanish art exhibitions
at the Albuquerque Museum, an unusual point was made. It seems that
in a sculpture
or painting of Christ on the cross, if the feet are slightly crossed
(rather than straight)
it was considered very sensual and therefore banned.
It might be productive for students to research and discuss with how
art is viewed as
sensual (not just unclothed) across time and cultures. Different
regions of Spain held
different views on this same concern.
                                                Woody

On May 29, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Eileen Lurker wrote:

> I think a discussion about nudity in art and the beauty of the
> human body can solve many of the problems. I do not teach
> elementary, but I did teach Jr. High and I explained the use of the
> nudes in art and the fact that it is not done in the manner of
> Playboy. I once had a superintendent who asked me if I were giving
> a slide presentation would I pull the nudes or leave them in and I
> said I would leave them in. I have no idea why he asked me that
> question, but I am still working in the same school system 25 years
> later. We cannot take nudes out of the museum so why should we take
> them out of the classroom they are an important part of art history.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703