Re: [teacherartexchange] nudity in art

---------

From: Eileen Lurker (eileen181_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 10:56:11 PDT

For those teachers who do not show nudity in the art room, what do you do when you take your students to an art museum? Do you run in and cover all the nudes. I think a discussion about nudity in art and the beauty of the human body can solve many of the problems. I do not teach elementary, but I did teach Jr. High and I explained the use of the nudes in art and the fact that it is not done in the manner of Playboy. I once had a superintendent who asked me if I were giving a slide presentation would I pull the nudes or leave them in and I said I would leave them in. I have no idea why he asked me that question, but I am still working in the same school system 25 years later. We cannot take nudes out of the museum so why should we take them out of the classroom they are an important part of art history.

Eileen Lurker