[teacherartexchange] nudity in art

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 10:31:48 PDT

Today
There was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer addressing the
issue of nudity in art

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/14691032.htm

Although I have many reservations about showing much contemporary
work that includes nudity ( it's more sexual than body adoration)
I think the historical representations offer much in the way as to
how the artists responds to issues of how we should regard the
human form.
We, Americans. are a little queer about how we regard the body.

"Perhaps art is the best medium to spell the difference between
Michelangelo and Playboy. It is a difference in poses, in lighting,
and most of all, in intent. "

We do a disservice to the history of art if we exclude the examples
of important works that "honor" the human form. Just what do you
show from the Greeks that don't have boobs?

Let's not get pulled into any sense of supposed ethics that
eliminates the important works all our students should know
about. If I have to eliminate Michelangelo from my curriculum
than I might as well eliminate everybody.
The history of art is the history of the human -- and it includes Nudes.

Patty