Re: [teacherartexchange] elementary appropriate: monsters

---------

From: chris massingill (chris_massingill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 28 2006 - 08:19:00 PDT

I have similar rules in my classroom as well and my
district has a rule about no drawings of guns and so
i've extended that to weapons in general, although
I've made a few exceptions for swords and catapults,
etc.

I think that part of the problem with these kinds of
drawings isn't the kids, it is the media that they are
being exposed to.

I did a lesson a few months back on space where the
students draw an audience in a movie theatre with
several rows of people to talk about how things get
smaller as they get further away, when they are done
with people in their seats, they get to draw a scene
from a movie on a movie screen for the background. I
did this lesson with second grade and I was SHOCKED at
some of the movies that they wanted to draw - the list
included Chucky, Freddy Krueger, SAW, Scary Movie,
Jarhead, I could go on and on, but you get the picture
- if this is what they've seen in second grade I can't
imagine what they will have seen before they have even
left elementary school.

Chris
in Central Arkansas