Re: [teacherartexchange] elementary appropriate: monsters

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 28 2006 - 06:06:36 PDT

I have a similar rule in my classroom. Without my censoring to a point (no
blood, no violence, etc) that when given choice in subject matter then they
will revert to the same thing over and over and over. You can only teach so
long before you tire of seeing sports logos, planes bombing things on the
ground, vampires, yin-yang signs, hearts, rainbows, suns in corners, etc. I
don't feel that the kids are expressing themselves if they are all drawing
identical drawings, and yet there is that pull at certain ages to draw
certain things. It seems that planes and bombs start around 1st grade and
fade away around 3rd or 4th. They then move on to a more personal level with
people shooting or stabbing each other, which lasts another 3-4 years. I
noticed this 12 years ago, and was concerned about some of my students trend
towards violence, but years later different kids are drawing the same thing.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids