Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: May 27, 2006

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 28 2006 - 05:01:30 PDT

With the book and movie being such distractions from
the real Da Vinci facts, I wanted to share some of his
research aptitudes as I think they are quite
applicable today.

Leonardo da Vinci's life was a living demonstration of
his "seven virtues." For those artists of life and of
art who might plot to develop higher levels of
accomplishment, here are his seven virtues, as they
were shared with me:

"Curiosita"--an attitude of curiosity and continuous
learning. What, when, where, why and how?

"Dimostrazione"--an ability to learn and to test
knowledge by experience. Experimental nature.

"Sensazione"--a development of awareness and
refinement of sight and other senses. High
sensitivity.

"Sfumato"--a tendency to embrace and accept
uncertainty, ambiguity and paradox. Free thinking.

"Arte/Scienza"--a development of balance between
science and art, logic and imagination. Whole-brain
thinking.

"Corporalita"--a calculated desire to achieve poise,
fitness and ambidexterity. Physical action.

"Connessione"--a recognition that all things are
connected.Systems thinking.

Da Vinci was a shining example to our students of how
to study. That is, he did all his own research. Not
accepting anyone else's writings or studies, he did
his own lab work in physics, physiology, weather,
zoology, and dozens of other subjects that hadn't yet
been defined at his time. He demonstrated much of what
we consider to be good a student, and, as you can see
above, a good self educator.

Hoping this helps...
Beth