Re: [teacherartexchange] just told by my principal (don't worry happy ending)

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 27 2006 - 06:10:31 PDT

I don't send out letters or "disclaimer" notes. I have alot of books in my
middle/high school classroom, and I don't censor them. With my middle school
students I don't use artwork with nudity, but I do tell them that it is in
my books. I simply explain that the human body is the hardest thing to draw
or piant. They are allowed to browse my books during free time or when they
need inspiration, but I tell them that the minute they laugh, point, or call
others to the book to "share", that they have turned art into porn and they
are banned from the books. I let them decide if they are mature enough to
handle it or not. By being matter-of-fact about it, students quickly pass
through that uncomfortable stage and quit looking for nudity and start
enjoying the artwork.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids