[teacherartexchange] monsters in the closet

---------

From: Julie Jacobusse (JacobusseJulie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 27 2006 - 05:03:04 PDT

I had a 4th grade class this year that was totally unmotivated and had a
lot of behavior problems. Anyway around Halloween time I found this
project called Monsters in the closet (Like the kids movie Monsters
Inc.) where your fold a brown piece of 12x18" paper horizontally and
then on the inside glue a smaller white piece of paper and have the
students make a monter on the inside piece of paper. They also were to
make a design on thier doors using oil pastels. This week, I have been
passing back all their art work-as I had the students make portfolios.
One disturbed 4th grade teacher saw one of her students doors and
monster. (She said she was also going to show the school counselor.)
He was finally very motivated by this project and he had a lady hanging
from a noose with dagers around her and a pit of tar under her, he also
wrote the words "Boo!" on the inside. On the outside of the door he had
blood specs coming out from the door. I feel he was just trying to
make a scary door and had no other psychological things attached-like
the 4th grade teacher thought. I was happy I finally found a project
the class liked and was interested in making art. My goals for this
project were to gain their interest in art, learn how to use art
materils like oil pastels, and to use design elemnts and creative
drawings of monsters. My question is: Should I have told that
student to just make a monster and he was not allowed to use the gorry
stuff? How limiting should I make it for the elementary students? (It
was my first year teaching.)