Re: [teacherartexchange] just told by my principal (don't worry happy ending)

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 13:42:03 PDT

Betty,
        I'm sure drafting a carefully worded note to go home with every student
would not hurt. You should always CYA. But the note would be a wonderful
method of educating the parents as well. I was lucky to seldom have
parent
involvement in what I did, or perhaps they didn't care. I like to
think they were
too busy earning a living working two jobs to make ends meet.
                                Don't worry, be happy is good advice, Woody

On May 26, 2006, at 2:19 PM, Betty B wrote:

> In just checking out for the year (still cleaning my
> room of course!) my principal told me that he had had
> complaints from a couple of sets of parents this
> semester about "all the nudity" in my classroom. I
> thanked him for sheilding me from that, since that was
> the first I'd heard. So then I told him that I had not
> shown my students any nudity actually, but I had asked
> them to do a little art history research, and they had
> seen some nudity in that, in Renaissance work and
> Degas bathers. And he asked me if I thought they were
> too young to deal with that (middle school) and I
> (carefully) told him that the nudity that causes the
> most furor is National Geographic, and how old should
> students be before they can look at National
> Geographic?? What is the cutoff age? So then he said
> that parents had also complained about the Rick Steves
> "Best of Italy" DVD that my boyfriend down the hall
> had shown his 6th graders during their Europe unit
> (which they loved), and that the parents were upset
> about things the kids were shown in Florence. So I
> said yes, that would be Michelangelo's David, which
> has been in a public square for around 500 years, and
> is one of the great works of art in the world. You
> aren't going to find a good video on Florence without
> nudity, so do we just not teach them about Florence?
> Or the Sistine Chapel?? So then (this is the only
> funny part) he said well, you know, the mother was
> sitting here, and I was sitting over here, and he had
> her legs crossed, and her shorts were so short, if I
> hadn't known better, I'd have thought she was sitting
> there in her panties and I kind of wanted to ask, "the
> way you're dressed, I'm somewhat suprised this is a
> problem for you!". I wish he had.
>
> So, I guess next year I should send out a warning note
> before I do any art history.
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque