[teacherartexchange] just told by my principal (don't worry happy ending)

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 13:19:44 PDT

In just checking out for the year (still cleaning my
room of course!) my principal told me that he had had
complaints from a couple of sets of parents this
semester about "all the nudity" in my classroom. I
thanked him for sheilding me from that, since that was
the first I'd heard. So then I told him that I had not
shown my students any nudity actually, but I had asked
them to do a little art history research, and they had
seen some nudity in that, in Renaissance work and
Degas bathers. And he asked me if I thought they were
too young to deal with that (middle school) and I
(carefully) told him that the nudity that causes the
most furor is National Geographic, and how old should
students be before they can look at National
Geographic?? What is the cutoff age? So then he said
that parents had also complained about the Rick Steves
"Best of Italy" DVD that my boyfriend down the hall
had shown his 6th graders during their Europe unit
(which they loved), and that the parents were upset
about things the kids were shown in Florence. So I
said yes, that would be Michelangelo's David, which
has been in a public square for around 500 years, and
is one of the great works of art in the world. You
aren't going to find a good video on Florence without
nudity, so do we just not teach them about Florence?
Or the Sistine Chapel?? So then (this is the only
funny part) he said well, you know, the mother was
sitting here, and I was sitting over here, and he had
her legs crossed, and her shorts were so short, if I
hadn't known better, I'd have thought she was sitting
there in her panties and I kind of wanted to ask, "the
way you're dressed, I'm somewhat suprised this is a
problem for you!". I wish he had.

So, I guess next year I should send out a warning note
before I do any art history.