Re: [teacherartexchange] Reinventing the (color) Wheel

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 03:45:13 PDT

Linda,

Good for you. I have used magenta, yellow, and cyan light filters for color printing of photos, but I had not heard of putting out magenta, yellow, and cyan paint as the primaries when painting. With pigments I had always put out red, blue, and yellow plus black and white. Is there a brand of tempera, watercolors, or acrylics that includes the magenta, cyan, and yellow for this? What source do you use?

I am imagining some interesting experiments by asking students to compare the two systems to see which they find most useful. For me as a teacher, USEFUL depends on which offers more learning. As an artist, USEFUL sometimes depends more on what can be created, but even as an artist I am very interested in what I am learning.

When I assign students to paint with only mixed colors, I make a point to purposely provided subject matter that does not include pure red, yellow, or blue. Fruits and vegetables lend themselves well. Cutting some open adds interest as well as a chance to taste and smell.

Marvin

--- Responding to Linda ----
<lpapanicolaou@pausd.org>