Re: [teacherartexchange] Reinventing the (color) Wheel

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 21 2006 - 12:44:29 PDT

On May 21, 2006, at 11:35 AM, <lpapanicolaou@pausd.org>
<lpapanicolaou@pausd.org> wrote:

> Interesting, Marvin. When we paint I put out cyan magenta and
> yellow, but the
> students always ask for Red and don't like that wonderfully
> luminous secondary
> red you get from blending magenta and yellow. They seem to be able
> to do
> without blue tempera and are quite happy to mix their own greens,
> but they
> MUST have their red. Red is always what they ask for in glazes, too.
>
> Linda

If I remember correctly from my History of Art Education class (1970 ?)
We learned of a dispute early on as to which set of primaries to use in
teaching art in the schools in the US. Red, Yellow and Blue won out over
Magenta, Cyan and Yellow. I often had students use the latter as an
experiment
especially in printmaking. I still use those three colors when I do my
Collograph Printmaking workshop as in this example:
http://www.taospaint.com/Sunrise/Springs05.html
We roll all three colors on the printing plate starting with yellow,
then magenta
and finally cyan. The accidental mixtures of the colors are often
magical.
                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net