Re: [teacherartexchange] Looking for Heiroglyph Sheet

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 07:40:29 PDT

I assume you are referring to "Egyptian hieroglyphs". Of course it is
not an
alphabet as we are accustom to. Rather it is a picture language. It
always
bothered me when other teachers would provide students with
translation pages where a specific Egyptian hieroglyph represented a
letter in English. They had students translate their names into
Egyptian,
as if this had and validity. I tried to steer kids right so they at
least knew
there was no direct relationship between the languages.

I did develop a design lesson where students took English letters and
designed them to look like Egyptian hieroglyphs. Horace the hawk
might be turned into an "H" and a serpent might develop into an "S".
Each student designed a different letter.

Many teachers, with the best of intentions, fill students heads with
a host of misconceptions. I'm sure your lessons based on world
languages do nothing of the sort. We oftened copied Chinese
Calligraphy. When a touring troop of Chinese acrobats were
able to read the posters we put up, my students felt very proud.

Good luck in locating your missing hieroglyphs.
                                                Woody

On May 19, 2006, at 7:01 AM, SUSAN STEVENS wrote:

> Hi everyone!
> I am on a mission to find a specific Heiroglyph sheet.
> I have many different alphebets (but always looking
> for new ones)....the one I'm looking for is actually
> not an alphebet. There seems to be more than one page
> (maybe two or three?)- but I only have one page, and a
> bad copy at that.
>
> The page is made up of a series of boxes (like bricks)
> that are seperated by dashed lines (------). The top
> left box is "GEB", and the bottom right box is
> "YESTERDAY". Some of the other boxes include
> heiroglyphs for "MAGICAL POWERS", "MIGHTLY", PROTECT",
> and "STRENGTH".
>
> I seem to be missing at least the first portion of the
> alphebet!

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons