[teacherartexchange] inquiry-based instruction

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 07:08:31 PDT

Marvin and all,

I have enjoyed the recent discussions on reinventing the color wheel.

Marvin, I especially enjoyed the Albers quote you shared. If anyone has
a chance to participate in actual inquiry based PD - it can be an eye
opener.

Last summer I attended an 'inquiry summit' at the Science center here in
town. It was a week long PD based on the training from the
Exploratorium.

We played 'students' and learned about magnets. The entire week. We
had some whole class questions posed, which generated lists of
questions, they were sorted and we chose which one we wanted to
investigate - a couple of days of investigations and hands-on... student
designed. My husband and I try to use inquiry based instruction as much
as we can in our classrooms, but I never really reach the full stage
with my schedule.

We had some background knowledge before we went in, but it was neat to
see middle and high school science teachers amazed that they 'learned'
the expected outcomes even without being told what they were going to
learn. The 'teachers' had listed the content on chart paper before we
even began on Monday - but we didn't know what was on the list - by
Friday when we listed what we learned - the lists matched.

Guided questions, careful planning, materials and supplies... this is
what the teacher brought to the lesson. It is well orchestrated, and
there are several levels of inquiry instruction.

The difference between 'I taught' and 'they learned' -

If you ever get the chance to attend something like this - I would
recommend it -

Ellen