re:[teacherartexchange] teaching grades k-12

---------

From: menichino (jlmenichino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 17:33:31 PDT

Hello Marcia --
I started out teaching K-12 as a long term sub. The school had about
500 students total. It was pretty neat -- I always thought it would
be great to see students progress all the way through the grades.
However, there was a lot of work to do regarding lesson plans -- I
would occasionally fall asleep at my desk in the evening with the pen
in my hand. My husband was afraid he'd find me impaled some day! I
did find out that I was better suited to being an elementary art
teacher -- I think the H.S. kids thought I was being a bit too
restrictive for them. They were right. But I think if I had stayed
with it I would have been able to find the right balance.
Liz in rural NY

Subject: teaching grades k-12
From: marcia <marciadotcom@yahoo.com>

Does anyone here teach K-12 art for their whole
district? Is it totally crazy? Do you have enough
time to get everything done? I'm just curious because
there's a job opening near me and I think it might be
fun to teach a variety of grade levels, but at the
same time it might be scary since I've never taught
high school.