RE: [teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: May 17, 2006

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (HillmJan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 12:57:14 PDT

Ironically my school DOES teach how to mix colors - you know - the
pigment color wheel - red, blue, yellow. We start in kindergarten and I
do units on it with 1st - 5th grade. Last week my heart just dropped
when one of my 5th grade students doing watercolor asked, "How do you
make orange?" He's been my student since 2nd grade and furthermore, for
all grades I get the 4 color sets of watercolor, so that the mixing
thing becomes second nature when painting. Or so I thought. Yikes.
Makes me reevaluate what and how I teach... one more time.

Jan

For the third grader who asks how to make "red", that is a real problem.

That student should have learned that in Kdg class. That school system
is
completely out of touch with any concept of what an art curriculum is. I

hope this clears things up a little and doesn't "dirty the waters" any
further.
www.bobcarl-artist.com