[teacherartexchange] Monoprint Lesson - Subtractive Method - TAB Choice Centers

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 06:09:46 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

When I did monoprints/monotypes I had various centers in the classroom
for students to experiment. We used Createx for painting plates,
Subtractive method and Trace method for creating Monotypes. This was
often done in connection with another printing lesson we were doing.
We discussed the difference in meaning of monoprint and monotype (as
we often made monoprints using our other printing method - doing
something different with each print that was made).

Kathy Douglas submitted images for a monoprint (monotype) lesson using
the subtractive method. Kathy does monoprints with third grade. She
sets up several stations giving students choices. Her stations are
described on the lesson - only the Subtractive method is explained in
greater detail.

Kathy Douglas - Monoprint Workshop:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Kathy-Monoprint.htm
I was the "master artist" that Kathy presented (smile). I gave Kathy
one of my monotypes to use with her students (digital images are
linked to the lesson).

I am one of the "control freak" artists that Kathy mentioned. I
couldn't just make something totally non-objective. I have to have
something in mind when I created my monotypes. The example shown
represents textiles/weaving. All of my favorite monotypes were
inspired by something I saw. I have more on My Art page (although
photos are not very good):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/my-art.htm

Kathy has a strong printmaking program with her students. They do
relief printing and silkscreen printing, too. Kathy is the only
elementary teacher I know of who does screenprinting. Here is that
lesson plan:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Kathy-silk.htm

There are several lessons on Incredible Art Department for relief
printing. Look for foam plate printing and collagraph (tagboard
prints).

Happy printmaking.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department