Re: [teacherartexchange] teaching grades k-12

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 04:33:53 PDT

I have taught K-12 for my district for 12 years now. I know there are a few
others on this list who do the same. Yes, it is crazy. BUT, as long as you
are flexible, it is VERY rewarding! I started teaching when this year's
seniors were in 1st grade (I didn't teach kindergarten my first 4 years with
the district, so this class was my "baby"). I have gotten to watch them grow
up, I have had some of them in my art class for the entire 12 years. I am in
two towns, three classrooms daily, so nobody ever knows where I'm at. You
have to be flexible, because you are going to have to deal with different
ages in a short time and have to deal with them age appropriately. As for
high school being "scary", they offer their own unique joys & challenges.
This is the age where you really get to know them because they visit as they
work, you have them daily, and they are still just kids trying to find their
own identity. I've never taught any other way, and have never regretted it.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids