Re: [teacherartexchange] Calling all color theorists

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 06:06:14 PDT

I suppose it's how you look at the question. Are we talking about
light or pigment.
In truth it's best to have students look at it from all angles. Of
course, how old are the students ?
I was first introduced to color theory in elementary school as white
being the absents of color
because we worked with pigments. I still look at it that way because
I paint watercolor and
create white by leaving the paper show. In Junior High I was
introduced to the prism and
the colors of light. I learned a new way to look at color. Later I
learned about color theory in
photography and printmaking. I can be confusing at first but I
believe that middle school
students should be able to comprehend the various aspects of color.
Of course the real
problem, as I discovered, is trying to explain it to other teachers
who only knew what they
read in the science book they were told to teach. That's why we need
qualified teachers
teaching each subject. I've had several teachers tell me I was
teaching my students wrong or too often. My newest watercolor teacher
(she is 30) tells
me to mix a "scanky wash" for my under painting. Putting pure colors
next to this scanky
or neutral makes the color pop. Every teacher has their unique
approach. As long as it is
correct and makes the point it's OK with me. I resist uniformity in
teaching.
                                                                        Woody

On May 16, 2006, at 9:19 PM, Occasm@aol.com wrote:

> Okay, we had some disagreement on terminalogy in our department
> recently.
> Would like a consensus from the list if you could.
>
> How do you define to your students what Black is and what White is.
>
> I have a teacher who tells kids White is the absence of color
> (not sure
> what she tells them black is though).
> I've heard others call these neutrals along with grays and browns.
> And I've heard still others say white is all the colors of the
> spectrum
> combined. This might be very scietific but it could be confusing to
> kids. I've
> also heard that black described as the absence of color.
>
> How do you define black and white to your students if they ask you
> whether
> these are colors or not?
>
> thanks,
> Mike Sacco