Re: [teacherartexchange] Calling all color theorists

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 21:28:24 PDT

For some reason the original message didn't show up in my mailbox, but
this concept depends on whether you are discussing light or pigment.
With light, as in a prism, black is the absence of light, and white is
the mixture of the entire spectrum. If you are discussing pigment, such
as paint, it's the opposite. Of course, that's the THEORY. In reality,
as we all know, mixing all the colors gives you a lovely mud color
rather than black. That has to do with the purity of the pigments
used. If you're really interested in studying color, take a look at the
slim but extremely useful book called Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green,
by Michael Wilcox, published by North Light Books. I wish I'd had this
book when I was a painting major--it would've saved me a lot of time and
paint finding things out the hard way! It was immensely useful when I
taught painting, as well.

Maggie