[teacherartexchange] Watercolor Article in Journal

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 05:47:30 PDT

I was out of town Friday when this article appeared in the
Albuquerque Journal.
It's great to get a little publicity. I'll have to get a copy of
Friday's paper to see if
there were any photos of our paintings. I copied this article from
the Journal's
web site.
                                                                        Woody

Exhibit by New Mexico Watercolor Society Opens Tonight

By Amanda Stevens
Of the Journal
     Watercolor has a reputation for being a difficult medium to work
with, but the New Mexico Watercolor Society believes it is up to the
task.
     "The Magic of Watercolor" features works by members of the New
Mexico Watercolor Society at Around the Corner - Art Framing Gallery,
6301 Riverside Plaza Lane NW #3. An artist reception is being held
from 5 to 7 p.m. today.
     "Watercolor is an accidental medium," said Woody Duncan, an
artist and member of the New Mexico Watercolor Society. "Even in the
most precise painting, things happen and you take credit for them.
There are no mistakes, just happy accidents, things you learn to work
into the subject."
     Duncan has been a member of the Watercolor Society for two years
but has been painting in watercolor for about 25 or 30 years and
continues to do so because he enjoys it.
     "I'm retired," he said. "If it isn't fun, I don't do it."
     Duncan is originally from Kansas City and moved to New Mexico
two years ago because of the different light that New Mexico offers.
     "Growing up as an artist, before I came to New Mexico, that's
what I always read about, that the light was different, but I didn't
really believe it until I came out here," he said. "The colors are
more intense, and obviously there are very few cloudy days, and
that's a factor, too, but I think it has to do with the altitude and
the colors of the landscape that reflect back against everything else."
     Society members find inspiration from New Mexico landscapes to
simple items on a kitchen table.
     "I find myself getting drawn back to collections of things on
table tops," society member Nan Simpson said. "They don't go
anywhere, they stay right where you put them, and they're fun to paint."
     Simpson has been a member of the society for four years.
     "(The society) has done a great deal, not only for me, but for
everyone who belongs," she said. "The greatest benefit is the support
it gives to all artists at every level ... it helps you learn more to
develop your skills."
     One of Simpson's life goals is to become a master of the medium.
     "I've never tried anything else," she said. "A lot of people try
other things, acrylics, oils and colored pencil, and many are
proficient in all of them. For me, my goal is to be really proficient
in watercolor, that's my life goal. So far, I haven't been tempted
(to try other mediums)."
     Society member Carol Bryant has a different view and enjoys
working in mixed media.
     "You start out painting in watercolor ... but nationally
watercolor has evolved into what they call water media, and that's
where there's mixing of the media, but it's still always under glass,
plexiglass," she said. "There are artists within our organization
that are still purists and wouldn't dare put a bit of crayon or
acrylic on a painting, but there are a lot of us that like to
experiment, and I think a more contemporary look is what a lot of us
are after."
     Though there are many views of how to paint, members agree about
the experience of painting.
     "It's a spiritual thing," Duncan said. "You ask any artist about
church, and they'll tell you that galleries and museums are their
churches."

If you go
     WHAT: Opening reception for "The Magic of Watercolor" by the New
Mexico Watercolor Society
     WHEN: 5 to 7 p.m. today
     WHERE: Around the Corner— Art Framing Gallery, 6301 Riverside
Plaza Lane NW #3

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons