Re: [teacherartexchange] What would you do?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 18:41:17 PDT

I absolutely would not allow them to finish this project. I would scrap the
idea and go with something much more structured. Do you have any masks of
your own? You could set up a still-life and have them draw masks. Color them
with oil pastels and blend the pastels with baby/cooking oil. This time of
year is awful no matter what, so the trick is to hook them into wanting to
work when all they really want is summer vacation. If you have time to round
some up you could come up with a collection of masks that are in the
students lives - football mask, catchers mask, etc. and have them draw
those. Tie in the idea of masks so students will see that you have a purpose
to having them learn about masks, but let them know that since they blew the
opportunity to create 3-D masks that they will still do masks, but in 2-D
format, which is more structured. Make sure they know that drawing masks is
not a punishment, but rather a quieter learning opportunity.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids