RE: [teacherartexchange] K-3 Clay-slipping/scoring

---------

From: Mikel Lee (mikellee31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 17:40:43 PDT

I have found that a lot of problems are caused by
slipping and scoring. We had an artist in residence
who taught me that you really don't need to score and
slip. You can just rub the surface with water until
you rub up the slip on the pieces and then weld them
together. If the two pieces were not the same "degree
of dryness" he would put them in a plastic bag
overnight with a small amount of air trapped inside to
help the moisture level out between the joined pieces.

 I haven't had to make slip since and I have had the
same degree of success. Also, my 1st graders can make
attachments with the best of them. We also don't have
to worry about those ugly score marks that some kids
always manage to make in their work. - Mikel