Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] IEP meeting

From: Melissa Enderle (melissa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 13:32:05 PDT

Dear Betty,

I agree with Maggie's advice and approach. When you work with a child who
has multiple or severe disabilities, it is important that you focus on what
he CAN do - the list of can'ts will be intimidating and not that useful. You
said he had a computer board accessed through a head-mounted laser. In
addition to some off the low-tech adaptations that Maggie mentioned, the
student can perhaps use that assistive device to run computer-based art
programs. KidPix is a program that I adapted for kids with limited or no use
of their hands. You can find out more about assistive technology in art on
the WATI website at
I wrote this in 2000, but most things still should be relevant.
Some of the best resources are the occupational therapists at your
school/district. They should be able to give you ideas, assistance, or even
some devices that you can try out with the student.

On 5/9/06 2:14 PM, "Betty B" <> wrote:

> I have an IEP meeting for an incoming 6th grader who
> has no use of his hands at all, as well as being
> otherwise very low functioning. He is also very
> fragile.

To unsubscribe go to